It is the combination of hardware & software that makes for most of the progress in Technology. The top programming languages are a core part of the modern & emerging technologies we see today.
Developers of the present day deal with more programming languages than ever before. Similarly, there’s no dearth of resources to learn some of the common languages used in modern software development.
But for those harnessing these programming languages for their needs, be it personal or commercial- there are myriad options to choose from. It is even difficult for businesses to find and hire developers due to the diverse range of languages to choose from.
I’ve tried to find the most productive and popular programming languages for developers to learn- for those that can put the languages to practice and build something out of it.
Top Programming Languages 2019 for developers
Before I list the top programming languages for developers, I would like to provide a brief overview of the research that went into its making. So here is a briefing of the parameters used for my research:
1. The highest paying top programming languages (Collected from StackOverflow Developer Survey 2019 and Indeed).
Note: The greatness of a language isn’t determined by the developer salary packages. Similarly, it doesn’t matter how much developers are paid for a particular on-demand top programming language. What matters the most, in the long run, is how developers build their skills and work on the languages they already know.
However, I have considered this metric for the research because Salaries are if not more, but as equally important as passion.
2. Preferences of developers based on Surveys from StackOverflow.
Over the past decade, the development of top programming languages is being focused more on making things easier for developers. So it is only fair that their fondness towards programming languages be used as a metric here.
3. Analysis of developer activity on GitHub (Rankings taken from GitHut 2.0 results for Q1 2019).
While there have been no updates to the first version of GitHut since Q2 2014, GitHut 2.0 might perhaps offer similar value in terms of analyzing activity on GitHub.
4. Google search trends worldwide from June 2018 — May 2019.
So based on the following parameters, the top programming languages 2019 for developers came to be these:
- Recognized as the most popular top programming language in the Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2019.
- Most popular programming language on GitHub.
- Average Python Developer Salary in the US as per Indeed: $117,503 per year
- Second place in the list of Most loved top programming languages as per Stack Overflow developer survey 2019. Also recognized as the most wanted programming language in the survey.
- Second most active programming language on GitHub.
- There are no significant changes to Python’s popularity since last year. The language maintains a score of 88 as of May 2019, while its score in June 2018 was 85.
- Average Java Developer salary in the US as per Indeed: $101,929 per year.
- Java happens to be at the 10th place as one of the most dreaded programming languages in 2019.
- Third-most active top programming language on GitHub.
- Java scored a rating of 97 out of 100 in Google trends as of June 2018. As of May 2019, the number has dropped down to 80.
- Average Go developer salary globally: $109,483 per year. The average salary in the US for this top programming language is $136K per year.
- Go is the third-most highly paid language globally in the Stack Overflow developer survey 2019.
- The Go programming language is the fourth most active on Github.
- The google search popularity for Go has remained constant since the past year.
- Average global salary for development on Elixir: 76K. The average salary for Elixir developers in the US is $123k.
- Elixir is the fifth most highly paid language globally as per Stack Overflow developer survey 2019.
- Elixir has moved more than 3 places in the ranking for most active top programming languages on GitHub.
- The google search trends for Elixir have mostly remained the same since last year.
- Average global salary for development on Elixir: $76k. The average salary for Ruby developers in the US is $123k.
- Ruby is the sixth most highly paid language globally as per Stack Overflow developer survey 2019.
- Ruby has gone down one place since the previous year in the ranking for most active top programming languages in Github.
- Ruby has significantly gone down in popularity in Google search trends. In June last year, the language attained a popularity score of 94 out of 100, as of May 2018, the score is 72.
- Average global salary for development on Kotlin: $57k. The average salary for Kotlin developers in the US is $125k.
- Although kotlin isn’t one of the most highly paid languages as of right now, its demand as soaring thanks to Google declaring it as the official language for android app development.
- Kotlin is the 15th most active top programming language on GitHub, having risen by one rank since the last year.
- Kotlin’s popularity has rapidly soared this year. In 2018, the score of Kotlin in Google trends was a mere 71, and as of May 2019, it scores 90 out of 100.
- Average global salary for development on TypeScript: $60k. The average salary for
- TypeScript developers in the US is $115k.
- TypeScript is the 10th most popular top programming language as per Stack Overflow developer survey.
- The Microsoft-nurtured programming language is the 8th most active on GitHub.
- The popularity of TypeScript as per Google search peaked in May this year, as compared to its score of 84 in June 2018.
- Average global salary for development on Scala: $78k. The average salary for Scala developers in the US is $143k.
- As per Stack Overflow annual developer survey 2019, Scala is the highest paid programming language in the US, and the 4th most highly paid programming language globally.
- Scala is the 12th most active top programming language in 2019 on Github.
- Scala’s popularity in Google search trends has remained more or less the same since the past year.
- Average global salary for development on Clojure: $90k. The average salary for Clojure developers in the US is $139k.
- As per Stack Overflow developer survey 2019, Clojure is the most highly paid programming language globally, and the 2nd most highly paid in the US.
- However, Clojure isn’t one of the most active top programming languages in 2019 on GitHub. In fact, its ranking has gone down one place since the last year.
- The google search trends for Clojure programming language remain more or less the same.
As a developer, this list will give you an idea of the 10 most relevant languages of today, and perhaps motivate you to learn one of these. If you’re brave enough, then all of it! Such is the beauty of coding and computer programming in general. You have all the resources you’ll ever need to upgrade your strength, and all that matters is where you put your heart and how you put the knowledge into practice.